Generation Medics Home Forums A Levels / IB Questions for Health students and Health Professionals

17 replies, 13 voices Last updated by  James GenMedX 2 months, 3 weeks ago
  • Author

Olivia Meeke
    Participant
    @LivMeeke

Hi, I have just started year 12 and I was wondering what you would consider to be the best form of work experience to study medecine at university. I volunteer at a residential Home for the elderly and have been on work experience at my local hospital in the administrative department, which led to opportunities to meet with a consultant cardiothoracic surgeon (an area of particular interest to me) and to tour the research facility, exploring targeted radiotherapy on thyroid cancer cells. What further experience do you think is vital for a medical school application?

Also, what are the best hobbies for prospective medically students? I am largely involved in music and a variety of orchestras; I also utilise the gym frequently as I know it’s important to lead a healthy lifestyle.

James GenMedX
      Participant
      @JamesGenMedX

Hey Olivia

It sounds like you’re keeping busy! Are you enjoying it?

There’s not really set work experience that you definitely need to have but as doctors and health professionals our patients are people from all walks of life so having experience that reflects that you understand that and can work with a wide range of people is often really beneficial

When I’m on the student interview panels we meet lots of people who have done things for show and can’t really tell us much about them. You can get any experience really, you just need to be able to communicate what you did and understand why or how the experience you’ve had is relevant to your future and finally what you’ve learnt from it. That’s the golden triangle you should aim for from your experiences! It sounds like you haven’t had any experience with children as yet. That might be one you want to look into. I’d recommend doing it through our HWEP Project

In terms of hobbies, there’s no ranking! It’s just good to show that you’re a person with interests outside of medicine because there is so much more to being a doctor! Your orchestras sound fantastic! Before I joined my Medical School I was in a local play and enjoyed acting.

Hope that helps! We’re here when you need us
      James

Kate Hunterr
    Participant
    @Kate2323

I’m waiting to get my AS-Level results on Thursday, but I’m really nervous. Has anyone got any tips for dealing with results day stress?

Katherine GenMedX
      @katherinegenmedx

Hi Kate,

Good luck with your results today!☺️🤞

I hope you get the grades you were aiming for.

We have an Alevel results day resource centre which has loads of information about wellbeing and dealing with results day stress.

Here’s the link 👉 https://generationmedics.org.uk/a-level-results-day-2018/

Kate Hunterr
    Participant
    @Kate2323

Hello

I’m trying to decide if I should do nursing or occupational therapy as my degree subject. I heard about the changes to the NHS nursing bursary and i’m confused about the funding of Nursing degrees. Does anyone know if a nursing degree is still funded?

Katherine GenMedX
      @katherinegenmedx

Hi Kate, great question!

We understand how confusing University funding can be, so our team have spent hours collating the latest information. To find out all you need to know about Nursing Scholarships and Bursaries at every UK institution, head to our ‘Financial support for nurses and students‘ page

Also, we have plenty of resources to help you make an informed decision about your future career and degree.

1. For more information about life as an occupational therapist have a read of ‘Here’s what it’s like to be an Occupational Therapy student on placement‘or check out our youtube playlist to discover life as an Occupational Therapy student at universities across the UK

2. For more information about becoming a nurse, check out our explore nursing page or check out our youtube playlist to discover life as a nursing student at universities across the UK.

I hope this information is useful to you 🙂

Kate Hunterr
        Participant
        @Kate2323

Aw thats amazing! Thanks! I’ll take a look at these over the weekend 🙂

Furkan
    Participant
    @Furkan76

Hi there,

My name is Furkan and I aspire to study medicine. I had some free time so I was thinking about going over some UKCAT. I’m finding it difficult to do so – where and how should I start?

Thanks.

James GenMedX
      Participant
      @JamesGenMedX

Hi Furkan,

The 2018 UKCAT official guide is now available , it’s worth checking it out.

This guide is written by our friends at The UKCAT consortium (they’re the people who run the actual UKCAT exam you’ll be sitting)

Spoiler alert – it’s 88 pages long, so don’t expect a quick read!

null  Good luck mate!

When are you thinking of sitting your UKCAT? (I did mine over summer so that it was out of the way and didn’t have to think about it again)

Hanna
        Participant
        @hanna_

Hey guys

James youre totally on point with this one… i have so many friends who paid to go onto expensive UKCAT courses and they ended up getting lower scores than me!!!!!! I spoke to some medical students at a Generation medics conference for AGES grilling them for details on how to do well and i took their advice to use the official free guide online that you linked then just practiced like crazy with the questions they gave. honestly that was enough!

Best advice! 🙂 xxH

Sanah Ahmed
    Participant
    @Sanah778

Hi, I’m currently in year 12. What sort of grades is considered the minimum in our finals to apply to medicine in October and what type of revision did you find useful? I’ve been trying a lot of exam questions and notes but it doesn’t seem to work for my subjects like maths. Thanks

Hanna
      Participant
      @hanna_

Hey Sanah

Each med school has it’s own requirments that can change each year but really you should be aiming to get A*’s and A’s at least but you need to check with the unis you want to study at! With new med schools and the increase in students i’ll be interested to see if they stay as tight with those grades next year tho/

Generation medics usually share the requirments for every med school so its worth waiting for that to save you trying to get through to every med school which would take dayssss! I got it at their medical applicants conference in the summer of yr 12 and that helped me choose where to apply to (thanks guys!) 🙂

With revision there’s soooo many different techniques to use and i swear every set of exams I find myself trying soemthing new! During Alevels i split my days in half spending 50% of the day revising then the other 50% doing past papers to try and see what i didn’t know. then the next day my morning would focus on what i’d got wrong the day before. I found Maths so hard but the past papers helped me and I even got my maths teacher to mark some of them and help me understand where I went wrong

Good luck!!! xxH

Rakeem U
    Participant
    @rakeemu5

What enrichment activities would you suggest for a medical university applicant?

Sarah GenMedX
      @SarahGenMedX

Hey Rakeem!
      Good question, but a big question! So in terms of enrichment activities for medical applicants, there’s a huge range of things you could do to help strengthen your application and also make sure that Medicine is right for you.
      Because it’s just so competitive to get into Medicine, we’d recommend you make the most of any opportunities that present themselves to you 🙂 -they might not all be obviously connected, for example, babysitting, but you’d be surprised by how many useful skills and qualities you can demonstrate through it!
      – Some applicants opt for doing work experience and volunteer work in hospitals. However, spaces are often limited, so if you want to go down this route be prepared to put in the legwork!
      – Alternatively or in addition, you could take part in our Health Work Experience Project. The project will help you get experience of meeting patients, researching a condition and creating your own project and university admissions teams approve of it! We’re just adding the finishing touches and it’ll be ready for you to work through it over summer. If you’re interested here’s the link: https://generationmedics.org.uk/health-work-experience-project/
      – Other experiences you could look out for include taking part in clubs at school/college or in your local area e.g. Science Club, Cadets, etc, learning a second language and/or completing your Duke of Edinburgh – you’ll be able to demonstrate so much through those and many more experiences!
      – Getting hands-on clinical experience is extremely difficult because of the safety and practicality of it, in fact many uni students don’t get to complete any clinical skills until the later years of study so don’t worry that you can’t get it! We actually hold Clinical Skills Experience days throughout the year where you can try out some hands-on activities so if you wanted to then do keep an eye out for the next date to get some fun experience!

I could go on and on but that’s more than plenty so I hope you find it useful Rakeem, just try to make the most of every opportunity and let us know how you get on ☺

Emmy Ks
    Participant
    @Emmy21

hey, I’m interested in doing BioMed and was wondering if it is necessary for me to have some work experience, and if yes – where would I start in getting the right work experience? thanks

Blerina GenMedX
      @blerinagenmedx

Hello Emmy,

Work experience is not a must if you want to study Biomedical Sciences, however getting some work experience can make your application look better and shows your dedication towards the subject! It will also give you an insight into your future career and that’s always a plus!

Contacting a local hospital or even pharmacy and see if you can get some work experience there would be a good place to start. But there are plenty of different types of experience that can make you practice skills that are important for your degree. An interesting one is also our Health Work Experience Project, you can check that out during the summer when you’ll have plenty of time to do it and add it to your list of experiences!!

If you have any other question, feel free to ask 🙂

GenMedics
    Keymaster
    @GenMedics

Welcome to the thread specifically for Y12-13’s and gap year students to ask questions to health students and professionals ☺

• This topic was modified 10 months ago by  GenMedics.
    • This topic was modified 10 months ago by  Sarah GenMedX.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.